It removes heat from the enclosed space and discharges it to the outside. Once it was considered as a luxury, is now gradually becoming an essential requirement in many households. Typically, one AC of 1.5 T capacity may consume electricity equivalent to the running of about 25 ceiling fans. In real practice, electricity cost for running an AC depends on :
- Its energy efficiency as designed by its manufacturer
- Number of operating hours
AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM BASICS:
Basic components of the system include an:
- Condenser (air-cooled or water cooled- Room ACs are air cooled)
- Expansion device
A refrigerant circulates in these components.
- It vaporizes in the evaporator absorbing the heat from the warm room air drawn across the evaporator coil. This cools and dehumidifies the air.
- The compressor raises the pressure and temperature of the refrigerant vapours.
- The condenser condenses the refrigerant and transforms the high-pressure vapour into a high-pressure liquid.
- Heat is rejected via outside air drawn across the condenser.
- The expansion device transforms the high-pressure high-temperature liquid refrigerant to a low-pressure low-temperature mixture of refrigerant liquid and vapour.
- The refrigerant goes to the evaporator, and the cooling cycle continues.